You asked, we answered! In this episode of our monthly series, Ask the Vet, Dr. Lydia Gray and SmartPaker Sarah answer your questions about clicker training, SI injections, feed thru joint supplements vs joint injections, locked stifles, when to geld a horse, and way more!
Additional reading/watching material mentioned in the video:
Ask the Vet monthly video playlist:
Ask the Vet individual topics playlist:
Ask the Vet blogs:
Horse Health Library Videos:
Clicker Training blog:
Ask the Vet form:
“The effect of MSM on biomarkers of oxidative stress in sport horses following jumping exercise”:
Joint reasearch from Larry Bramlage and others:
Have some of your own questions? Ask away using #AsktheVetVideo! If your question gets selected to be in one of our Ask the Vet videos, you win a SmartPak gift card! How awesome is that!?
If your question was answered in this video, reach out to us at CustomerCare@SmartPak.com and let us know! We’ll get your gift card out to you as soon as we can!
Make sure to SUBSCRIBE so that you know when the next episode comes out – your question may be featured!
Questions answered in this episode:
1. What is the best age to geld a stallion? Is it better to do it before starting them under saddle?
2. I have a young horse that had a locked stifle. It happened twice so far, once when she was 2 years old and the second time was about a year after that. Why does it happen? Is there a treatment for it? And is it a long term problem?
3. Is there any benefit to joint supplements given in feed? I have been told they are helpful but also that horses do not metabolize them when given this way and injections are better. Is this true?
4. My horse recently got her SI injected, and I was just wondering if there was anything I could do to help her be more comfortable, especially after hard work/jumping? Could I poultice/liniment the area or is there something else I could do? Thanks!
5. Clicker training for horses has been growing in popularity. What are the pros and cons of it? Is it a more humane way to train horses?