Follow us on Twitter: @foods4health1
To learn more about the health benefits of food, visit:
Onion juice may not be the most popular drink, but it remains one of the most beneficial juices for our overall health. This is because it contains many great nutrients and antioxidants, and has unique and potent healthy compounds. Though onion juice may not seem like the most pleasant of drinks to consume, we actually don’t need to consume large amounts of it if we are having it regularly. Just add 1 tablespoon to a quarter cup of onion juice to a glass of water mixed with 1 tablespoon of honey, or simply add it to your favourite smoothie recipes. To extract the juice, you can use a blender, food processor or juicer. Now, lets discuss some of the great health benefits of drinking onion juice regularly.
1. First, onion juice contains many different vitamins, minerals, fibre and antioxidant compounds. It contains great levels of vitamin C and vitamin B6, as well as magnesium, iron, calcium and phosphorus. Onion juice also contains dietary fibre, many antioxidants and sulphur, which has anti-carcinogenic properties for our body.
2. Drinking onion juice regularly can also help to improve digestion. This is often attributed to the great amounts of the compound inulin which onions contain. This dietary fibre compound acts as a food source for healthy bacteria found in the intestines and digestive tract. This allows it to help this good bacteria to thrive, improving digestion. Onion juice can also help to promote healthy bowel movements.
3. It can also help to promote the health of our heart and increase cardiovascular health a number of ways. When onion juice is consumed consistently, studies have found that it can help to lower cholesterol levels and decrease the risk of heart disease. The nutrients in onion juice, such as sulfur compounds and chromium, can also help to lower levels of homocysteine, which can be damaging to our heart. Onion juice also contains many different heart healthy antioxidants, such as quercetin.
4. Onion juice can also help to reduce blood sugar levels in the body and reduce glucose levels. Research has shown that this is largely attributed to the unique compounds onions contain, such as sulfur and flavonoid compounds. Regular consumption of onion juice may also have a hypoglycaemic effect for individuals with diabetes. As well, the chromium in onion juice can help to improve glucose tolerance.
5. It can also help to reduce inflammation throughout the entire body due to its potent and powerful antioxidant compounds. Onion juice is a great source of many different flavonoid antioxidant compounds and quercetin. Quercetin is a potent antioxidant that can help to reduce chronic inflammation. As well, these antioxidants can help with the elimination of free radicals in the body and reduce oxidative stress while also preventing the oxidation of fatty acids.
6. Lastly, drinking onion juice can have tremendous benefits for the health and look of our hair. As mentioned previously, onion juice contains sulfur compounds, which is an essential nutrient for hair growth promotion. These sulfur compounds also help to improve circulation in the body, which helps our hair follicles get the nutrients it needs to remain strong and healthy looking. The antioxidants found in onion juice can also help to improve the look of our hair.
Thank you for watching the video! Please like, comment and share. If you would like to hear about more healthy foods, and food and beauty tips, please subscribe to the channel! Have a GREAT and HEALTHY day!
DISCLAIMER: This video is for educational and informational purposes only. While we have tried to ensure that the information is sound and accurate, we cannot guarantee its accuracy. The information in this video should not be substituted for professional medical advice and opinions. If you are experiencing any ailments, serious or otherwise, always seek professional medical treatment and advice.